Anthony Gell Ski / Snowboard Trip 2024
Anthony Gell School ran another successful Ski and Snowboard trip for 90 students in February 2023. Photos and video footage will be made available to parents and carers once they have been collated and edited. Students may get an opportunity to add and share their own images from the trip.
We are looking to run this trip in 2024 over the February half term – 16th to the 24th February.
Information about the trip:
Location and Itinerary
The ski area we use is Gerlitzen in Austria, an excellent mountain for a mixed ability school party as it offers relatively safe skiing and snowboarding. We deal directly with Holiday Shuttle (Holiday Services) in Austria. The hotel that we went to in 2023 was the ‘Post Hotel’ in Ossiach, Austria. We had a very pleasant stay in and the owner is keen for us to return next year!
Students are asked for information about their skills and competencies in skiing and boarding; complete beginners are recommended to select skiing for the first trip. The students are put into groups based on their skills, and the Instructors assess this throughout the trip. They reserve the right to move students between groups for their own safety and therefore we cannot guarantee skiing with friendship groups.
Please be aware that the school must follow current European rules of travel and be prepared for this to change at any time, even during the trip. This means that we are keen to ensure that we’re covered for worst case scenario changes in relation to COVID or other health matters at the time.
The trip is organised to include the following:
- Travel by coach from Wirksworth to Ossiach, Austria and return, including a ferry transfer between Dover and Calais.
- Accommodation with full board (including hot lunch on the mountain)
- Hire of helmet, skis or a board, boots and poles. These are able to be altered if changes are required.
- Six days of five-hour lessons, given by qualified instructors from the Austrian Ski School
- Fully comprehensive insurance cover via the school’s trip insurance policy
- Additional COVID cover insurance if applicable
- Appropriate ratios of adult supervision, including allocation of one staff member per small group
- Evening activities such as a Pizza night in Italy, bowling, swimming, cinema and disco
The trip costs are estimated to be a rough estimate of £1,350. We will be able to supply a more accurate figure once we know student numbers and supplier charges. A further £80-£90 will be required for each student for any extras, snacks and drinks they wish to buy.
Students will also need suitable clothing for the skiing or boarding. Specific advice on clothing will be given at the first parents’ meeting later in the year.
Due to COVID and not being able to travel, in 2023 the trip was open to Y8-Y13. However, trips of this nature are open to Year 8-10 and Year 12 (Year group as at September 2023).
Within the provisions of the Education Reform Act 1988, this trip is an optional extra organised by a third party. Participation in this trip is on the basis of choice and a willingness to meet the charges, in accordance with the school’s charging and remissions policy.