Anthony Gell School


How do we work with parents?

Please contact the school reception to make an appointment.

How do we ensure we are removing barriers and moving forward?

We set outcomes with children and their families for each SEN/D child. These are circulated to all staff.
We review these once a term to ensure we are focused on person centred progress.

How do we inform staff about your child’s needs?

We produce person centred plans in consultation with children and their families for each SEN/D child.
These are circulated to all staff and updated if needs change.

How do we support your child in lessons?

If the SEN/D child is statemented/has an EHC we will consult you over the best use of their teaching assistant hours.
For SEN support students we will try to give them some access to shared support if needed.

What if my child is finding things difficult emotionally or struggling with aspects of a physical disability?

We have G16, an emotional and medical support base, where we can cater for emergency or short term needs to ensure children still have access to the curriculum.

How do we prepare our SEN/D students for the next phases of their education?

We work with the careers service, other external services and local post 16 providers to ensure our students are prepared for their next steps.
This is a personalised approach with some students staying here for post 16 and some going to college or apprenticeships.

How do we identify/assess potential special educational needs and disabilities?

We have a variety of procedures in place including monitoring of external tests such as CATs, transition information and feedback from staff.
We also draw on external expertise when necessary. 
Please see the policy link for more detail.

What interventions do we offer?

We support students outside lessons in a range of ways from literacy intervention to positive support.
Full details can be found in the SEND Policy 2019.

What special educational needs and disabilities do we cater for?

We have experience with a wide range of needs.
However as a mainstream school there will always be some limitations so we would be happy to meet and discuss whether we are the right place for your child.

What does the local authority have to offer?

Each Local Authority has to produce a ‘Local Offer’.  In our case this is Derbyshire County Council. 
The local offer lists everything the local authority can offer to support SEN/D children and their families.
Many of the things are available without the need for a statement or Education and Health Care Plan.
Derbyshire Local Offer

Further details needed? Other Questions?

Further details can be found in the SEND Policy

Click here to access link to national telephone support service for families affected by autism.

Anything we can do to help please do not hesitate to contact us.
If you have any suggestions for improving the information we provide on the website or in the policy do let us know.

Useful information for parents

SENDCo – Dr Lesley Cyster